Welcome to Life Documented Week 45 with Monica Smith


Monica is doing a divider for us this month.

The theme is changing colors, colors of your life.  We hadn't picked one yet so Monica used a lot of color but went with friends.

Prompt:       Start with a black background
Technique:  Using Black Gesso on white card stock
Quote:         “Friends are Flowers In the Garden of Life” Mary Engelbreit

One of my impulse buys was black gesso, it was hidden and forgotten on the shelf in my studio.  It is time to use it  If you do not have black gesso use black card stock. 

 First of all it was time for me to search Google and Pinterest and discover  how black gesso is used in art journaling and to find  inspiration.  This as I am sure you know is no quick task.  black gesso is popular with several artists especially those who do journaling and usually to advertise their paint etc.    My searches showed that most people used black gesso so as to write on it with a white pen!  Here is how I used it.

I began by covering several sheets of card stock on both sides with black gesso and leaving them to dry overnight.  This is important because if the paper is damp it changes the color of your paint. (This is due to the pigments that black gesso is made from blending with the colors you apply.  Light colored, translucent paints eg yellow, pale green and orange all had a greenish glow!)



A blank black canvas and my quote pointed to a great opportunity to create a fantasy flower garden for the first layer by adding blobs of color all over the page.  Allow time to dry.


Several of my blobs were almost total translucent and not having any acrylic paint pens the solution was to use Neocolor ll  Water Soluble wax pastels.  Once activated with water they covered the blobs perfectly. This is Layer 2



Now to my favorite part of creating a background and once the ideas flow it was easy to be carried away and use up most of the extra black backgrounds. The blobs were stamped with Ranger Archival Ink and on the black areas with a Ranger white pigment ink on a circles stamp.  Using a white Uniball pen and black Sharpie pens and adding marks and scribbles the blobs finally became my imaginary flowers or should I say my friends.



The finished background was cut to fit my binder as the November divider. 



 The reverse side of my pages where given a first layer by scraping acrylic paint in streaks of color down the page.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Life Documented-Week 23 with Suz

Welcome to Life Documented Week 24 with Claire Ann

Welcome to Life Documented Week 26 with Louise Mairs